- To encourage new filmmakers to develop their craft.
- To challenge existing filmmakers to apply their skills and expand their boundaries.
- To promote the idea that every film made as part of the film festival is a success, precisely because the participants are contributing to the history of cinema culture at St Andrews.
- To strengthen the relationship between the town and the university students through creative interaction.
- To establish a filmmaking community in St Andrews that utilises new media as a means of artistic expression.